Friday, September 20, 2013

Class Ethnography


Class Ethnography 
 
Jotting:
 
- Majority females
- Crowded
- Tanaera
- Jaleel
- Sam
- Silvia
- Professor
- Danielle

Headnotes:

- People were reluctant to talk
- Female ratio outnumbered males
- Groups crowded in the center of the classroom
- Professor walked around observing
- Danielle stayed in the front row due to injury
- People seemed uncomfortable
- I'm the tallest in the class
- Realized Sam was in my class last semester
- Sam had a black hoodie
- Talked to Tanaera and Danielle in the beginning
- Tanaera and Danielle both wear glasses
- Heard a lot of talking and laughter
- Silvia approached me and asked why I was by myself
- I made a joke to Silvia and said I was the overseer
- Silvia was wearing a bronze colored wristwatch

Things I remembered later:

- I didn't get to talk to everyone. I forgot some names and didn't introduce myself to everyone.
- Jaleel and I are the only males in the class.
- Other than that I do not remember too much of anything else.

Observations:

- I was one of the last people to begin the activity. There are a lot more females than males in the class which is why I don't really speak unless spoken to so I don't make them feel uncomfortable. I'm pretty sure majority of the class was uncomfortable because they didn't know everyone. It's not easy to break the ice and get out of your shell, especially if you don't know the person. During the activity, everyone pretty much crowded in the center of the classroom. I decided to make my way into the group and talk to a few people and notice a couple of women were in my previous classes. After talking and introducing myself, I realized that they were really nice which got me to open up a bit and talk. The professor walked around to make sure people were participating. Overall, it wasn't too bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment